Monday, April 19, 2010

Batman: "Not you, Robin. They have strict licensing laws in this country. A boy of your age is not allowed in a drinking tavern."


I was in Canada this weekend, and guess what we drank...that's right. Yellowtail. I opted for the Chardonnay and to keep myself afloat, mixed in some Perrier water. On the Eastern European block we call this handy mix: gemist (geh-misht).

Not much to rave about there.

BUT. Batman and Robin came to mind when I felt my tastebuds sigh in relief and then cringe in despair tonight. I don't mind Zinfandels (hereafter known as zins), and my appreciation for them grew while we were trouncing around the California wine regions this past February. For a non-zin drinker, the abundance of zin was definitely a surprise (who knew that almost every blimey winery in the north coast (sonoma county) including russian-river, alexander valley, dry creek valley etc grows the zin grape? Not this girl).

Anyways, so I made a "hearty tuscan bean stew" for dinner tonight (v. tasty) but before I took a taste of the stew, I sipped a bit of #10 of the top 100 of 2008, Wine spectator's Seghesio Sonoma county Zinfandel (2007).

Strange nose (mind you, I've been chopping onions and mashing garlic all day-my significant other gave me a description of a chocolate berry mix with a dash of pepper, but I just didn't get that) but the flavour. Oh the flavour. It carries a flavour that soothes the palate. No other way to describe it. I hummed in pleasure and then turned back to re-read the label. It's a zin alright-but it doesn't matter that I'm prejudiced a wee bit against them. This is just one good bottle of vino.

AND THEN.
BAM!!!!!!!!!!
WHAP!!!!!!
POW!!!!!
(Think Adam West Batman theme....)

I took a bite of the bean stew, chewed on a crushed piece of garlic, and had my teeth cry out in agony. My eyes widened as I realized my mistake (stupid stupid Juli). My tastebuds had been blown to bits and I could really do nothing to soothe them...or so I thought. How to revive my tastebuds...good ol' yahoo answers has provided me with some options.

Well, I don't have time (just wait it out they all say) or ginger lying around. Oh but coffee, I have coffee. So here is my female mind at it's best most amazing problem solving moment: Laura Secord Espresso Dark Chocolate. (Laura's a chocolatier from Canada..I think). TA DA!

And so I sit writing and munching, sipping and waiting for the flavour of the wine to impress me once again.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment