Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Wines

So our menu was vast and had an array of foods...none of which we really made to pair properly with the wines we drank...

1. Chappellet (Pritchard Hill estate Vineyard) Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006
2. Chateau Montellena, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2004
3. Chappellet, Merlot, 2006
4. Chateauneuf-du-pape, Chateau de Beaucastel,2004
5. Grgich hills Estate, Zinfandel, 2005
6. Amarone della valpolicella, 2005
and crowning glory is.....drum roll please....
7. O'Shaughnessy Howell Mountain, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2004

However, my favourite part of wine drinking, seriously, is the dessert wines. The one we cracked open to celebrate Jesus's resurrection was Geyser Peak, Block Collection, 2008 Late Harvest Riesling.

A bit about what I know about what I drank! [Ahem..clearing my throat]
An Ode to Chappellet...okay, not really an ode, but well, a blurb...

Chappellet is understatedly BEAUTIFUL. I had the privilege of visiting this past Valentine's day weekend (my husband had a gig out in Berkley). And I say privilege because they don't do open taste testings. The directions to the winery are more than vague, but the wine itself is worth getting lost for a few hours. As we drove up the hills, following mailbox signs saying that Chappellet is this way then that way, turn at the big boulder, etc. we got to a building looking like it stepped out of the 70's and hasn't opened its eyes yet. The building itself is 70's brown. There are no distinctive, over the top welcome to Chappellet signs telling you that yes, you did make it! Good for you! Instead, a true Chappelletian knows that the building is actually in the shape of the tri-triangular symbol on every bottle...check it out...http://www.chappellet.com/index.cfm?method=homepage.showpage

One of the first things you notice when you step out of your vehicle is the smell. It smells, well, green. Chappellet is on top of Pritchard Hill and has done as little damage to the surrounding forest as possible. You walk up a wooden stairway to huge glass doors and walk in. 2 desks welcome you with a floral arrangement in the middle of the small triangular room.

The pleasantness of our tour guide was surprising as was her casual, "I love Chappellet" demeanor. She made us feel at home with any questions we had, our constant oohing and ahhing and pausing to touch the vines in the vineyard.

I have to say, the view is Killer. You look out, and in the foreground is their vineyard and in the background stand hills and a lake reflecting the sun. Just the memory makes me smile.

Anywho, if you're going to enjoy a Chappellet wine, I'd start with the Merlot (I know I know. Most seasoned wine vets spit on Merlots...but I REALLY REALLY like this one).

Salut! Zivjeli! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment